If you are not doing what you love, you are wasting your time-Billy Joel

Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday 9 June 2011

Easy Machine Embroidered Quilt-Tutorial Part 2



Before I start the instructions for this quilt let me commence by saying that I am not a quilting/machine embroidery professional. I am not an expert by any means. However, I am passionate about what I do. I am going to share with you some of my techniques and they may not be seen to be best practice by the experts but they work for me.


          Quilt Fabric Requirements
1 yd (metre) of 45" (115cm) fabric for plain embroidered quilt blocks
1 yd (metre) of 45" (115cm) contrast fabric (red)
1/3 yd (30cm) of 45" (115cm) contrast fabric (blue)
The finished quilt top measures 42" square so you can decide your binding fabric , backing and batting. I am going to be doing a "faux" piped binding in the blue fabric with a faux piping colour of white.

Preparing your Quilt Fabric to Hoop and Stitching Your Quilt Block 
  1. The first step is to decide just how big you want your finished block to be before piecing.I decided on 8 inch trimmed blocks for this quilt and instructions for the quilt are done according those measurements. This means that to have enough fabric to successfully hoop for embroidering I will cut my squares out at 11-12 inches. 
  2. I always spray my fabric with spray on starch and press it. There are many great products out there. My local discount store has a fabulous product that I use for this purpose and also for my heirloom sewing.



  1. The next next in the process is to draw cross lines on the fabric lines through the centre of the block both horizontally and vertically with a wash a way marker or chalk.Please only use one that you are happy with as some wash a way markers become  permanent if heat is applied. If I am doing something that does not need anything to be too exact I may just lightly press these lines in place. These marked lines become critical for me when squaring up the embroidered quilt block as you will see later.
  2. When hooping your fabric make sure that it is not too tight in the hoop.
  3. Hoop your fabric and your preferred stabilizer.
  4. When embroidering redwork, you may need to decrease the top tension on your embroidery machine to prevent your bobbin thread from showing or alternatively use matching top and bobbin thread.
  5. Stitch out your design.
  6. Remove the stabilizer from your design.
  7. We are now going to trim our blocks to size.
  8. Line up the centre horizontal line of your design with the 4" line (half of 8") on your ruler, trim along the top. If you were making a 9" block you would line up the 4 1/2" mark n your ruler.

9. Turn the block around and trim the other end as you just did previously by placng the 4" ruler mark on the horizontal centre line. Your block should now be trimmed to 8" in one direction only


10. Repeat the last two steps to trim the other two edges of your block
 That's it for part 2 of our quilt tutorial. If you have any queries just email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment