If you are not doing what you love, you are wasting your time-Billy Joel

Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday 20 January 2013

New Quilt Top Done-Grannie's Hexies on The Fly

Grannie's Hexies on the Fly
 
 
Have just finished putting together my latest quilt. I am calling it Grannie's Hexies on The Fly. I have used the Hen House embroideries Grannie's Hexagons 2 for my twenty embroidered blocks. I was determined to use the left over fabrics from the Antique Rose quilt and was going very well until the last border. I was 4 inches short so decided to put the cornerstones in. The pieced/string flying geese are made using a method devised by Bonnie Hunter over at Quiltville. I just loved making these flying geese and devised a method that enabled me to make better use of the larger length scraps from the layer cake. The quilt measures approximately 80 inches square and would look good oriented both ways on a bed if you did not use directional fabrics in the hexies. 

String Flying Geese
 
 
I will be writing a detailed  tutorial l for this quilt and will be sending that out automatically to those who did the Antique Rose Squares with me. If you have been on another of my lists or are a new visitor to my blog you can email me for the instructions when they are done.
 
Liz has sent me a progress picture of her blackwork birds quilt. She has been using a Bali Pop jelly roll . Isn't it just beautiful!
Liz's Blackwork Birds in progress
 
 
Sandy has done a fantastic job of adapting the blocks so that she can use her small 4x4 hoop. Love the red accents between the blocks as well.
Sandy's Blackwork Birds
 

4 comments:

  1. Vicki, you have been busy! Beautiful projects. I have been wanting these designs so just ordered them too. Thanks for all you do for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Hexie on the Fly quilt! I quite like the geese going sideways on the bed. With the fabrics you used, the geese positively sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is beautiful. I can't wait to get your tutorial. I am so thankful you are so generous with your designs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete